City of Butler

Butler, Georgia was incorporated on February 8, 1854; however, the charter for the town was not received until 1870. Butler was named for General William Orlando Butler, a distinguished soldier of the Mexican War and a candidate for Vice President on the ticket with General Cass of Michigan.

Butler is the county seat for Taylor County. The Taylor County Courthouse was built in 1935 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Courthouse’s bell tower was restored in 1995.

The Country Side Festival is held annually in the heart of downtown Butler. The festival includes arts and crafts, live entertainment, a parade, and other activities for the entire family.